This weekend, I finally got myself to make gizdo (or gizdodo). The name”Gizdo” is derived from gizzards and fried plantains- dodo.
Contrary to my initial concerns, gizdo is pretty easy and quick to make, and requires a few CHEAP ingredients- the best of both worlds. I spent about $20 on all the ingredients.
- Gizzards (chicken or turkey)
- Cooking oil
- Bell peppers
Preparing the gizzards
- Cut the gizzard into small pieces.
- Dice onions into small cubes.
- Put a pot (1/4 of a small pot) of water to boil.
- When hot pour in the gizzards, onions and spices.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Drain the stock and fry the gizzards in the cooking oil for 5-10 minutes (be careful, it pops).
Preparing the plantains
- Cut the plantains into small cubes.
- Heat up cooking oil in a frying pan.
- When hot, fry the plantains until golden brown.
Preparing the tomato sauce
- Blend tomatoes and onions.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of cooking oil into a pot.
- When hot, pour in the blended mix and allow to cook for 10 minutes.
- Add spices to taste and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Pour in the fried gizzards and plantains and cook for 5 minutes.
- Dice the bell peppers into small cubes and pour in the mix.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
Here’s a video tutorial on YouTube